Wednesday, January 12, 2011

cupcake street credentials part III

I come from a family of artists. I am quite gifted at drawing rainbows and stick figures. I probably don't need to say much more than that. Some of you are artists and don't understand...Some of you are gifted at drawing rainbows and stick figures and you totally get it. I used to dread the first day of art classes, the teachers were always so excited to have one of Ben's (my older brother who is an amazing artist) siblings. That excitement quickly faded...I remember one teacher saying to me.."you must be really good at math..." But I didn't let it get me down, I eventually resorted to tracing.
I was working as pastry chef at Tuscany when I took my first cake decorating class. I didn't excel but got the general idea. Techniques like the basket weave and rope were lost on me. And I did successfully learn how to make roses and other flowers. But something clicked, and eventually, after lots and lots of practice, I actually got pretty decent. Pretty soon I could turn cupcakes and cookies into just about anything. Usually I just use frosting, but occasionally I will use fondant or gum paste. Although fondant is pretty, I have found that most people just don't like to eat it...I think I might be one of those people.
cracks me up, because when I give people decorated desserts, often times they wont eat them. To me that's like not hanging a picture on the wall. You can't fully appreciate it unless its in your belly. So in the end, I kind of feel like I might be a little artistic....

These cuties were for a Toy Story Birthday Party. I stayed up late one night frosting them...talking to myself in the characters voices....I like to fully immerse myself in my projects. :)

if you thought these were cute, check out these and these

2 comments:

Reeni said...

You have mad decorating skills! These are the cutest! I would have no problem eating them. The barn is adorable too - looks like a lot of work. I have never tasted fondant...

Leslie said...

Oh wow, how adorable :)